Lip augmentations have become increasingly popular in recent years. Some types of lip augmentations involve the insertion of natural or synthetic materials. The methods we discuss here also reduce fine lines and wrinkles around your lips. To learn more, call (239) 633-8819 today.
Dr. Mandraccia will use a topical anesthesia (painkiller applied directly to the lips) for injections. These are performed on an outpatient basis in our office or outpatient center and you will be sent home the same day. During your initial lip augmentation consultation, Dr. Mandraccia will consult with you regarding the options that we offer, including:
- Collagen CosmoDerm™ and CosmoPlast™ are the new human-based collagen treatments available. Refines your lip line and smoothes wrinkles. The results are temporary, however, lasting 4 weeks to three months.
- Restylane/HylaForm is a material created from natural body substances and is a clear gel. It contains hyaluronic acid, which naturally occurs in humans, so there's little chance for an allergic reaction. It's biodegradable, so your body will absorb it within about six months of the injection.
- Autologen is an injection of your own collagen, extracted from another place on your body. There's no risk of allergic reaction -- however, the results are only temporary. This may be good for people who aren't ready to commit to a more permanent result.
- Fascia injections use a specific type of connective tissue harvested either from your own body or from a deceased human donor. It can be implanted surgically or injected. The main drawback is that within a year of injection, your body will reabsorb the fascia.
- Fat Transfer from your own thighs or abdomen can be injected into your lips. There's no risk of allergic reaction and you may achieve permanent results. This can also be implanted surgically (see below).
Implants and Surgeries
You will most likely receive local anesthesia. The lip augmentation procedure can take up to two hours at Dr. Mandraccia's office or an outpatient center, depending on the complexity, and you will be sent home the same day. Here are the options:
- Alloderm is a sheet of collagen created from deceased humans. Your surgeon inserts the material through tiny incisions made on the inside part of the lip. This material offers only a temporary fix, lasting up to 12 months.
- Fat grafting is the surgical method of inserting your own fat into your lips to achieve the desired fullness. You may achieve permanent results, but this method varies from person to person. Because it's your own fat, there is a chance that your body can reabsorb it.
Contact Dr. Mandraccia Today
If you live in the Ft. Myers, Florida area, or wish to travel here for lip augmentation or any other procedure, contact Dr. Robert V. Mandraccia, M.D. at (239) 633-8819 today. Our Fort Myers office is conveniently located off of Gladiolus Drive in the Parker Plaza near the Lakes Regional Library. We also serve patients in Bonita Springs, Estero and Naples, Florida.